2013年9月26日星期四

Jake Shannon – Strength Training for the Eons

Jake Shannon – I was first introduced to the traditional Indian gada (aka the mace) by my friend Karl Gotch a few years ago. As gracefully as Karl swung it, I was equally clumsy. I nearly knocked myself unconscious with it the first time I swung it. It was the toughest and most awkward exercise implement I had ever held. It was then and there that I challenged to master this bad boy.
This killer training implement was preferred by legendary wrestlers for centuries, from the Pehlwans of India to ‘God of Wrestling’ Karl Gotch. Historically, the mace has had both strong spiritual and combative connotations in folklore. Robert L. O’Connell, on page 119 of his book Ride of the Second Horseman: The Birth and Death of War points to the mace as the first weapon made specifically for use against other human beings (as opposed to a modified hunting weapon). In the Hindu religion, the mace of Vishnu is named “Kaumodaki” and represents the elemental force from which all other powers (both physical and mental) are derived.
Anyone that owns a genuine Macebell will find it fitting that mace-work is associated with the Indian god of strength, Hanuman. Hanuman is traditionally depicted in the form of monkey brandishing a mace, and this Mace is generally understood to symbolize bravery. Hanuman serves to remind the faithful that there is limitless power within each individual. In folklore, Hanuman focused all his energy into the worship of Lord Rama. This devotion freed him from all physical fatigue.

没有评论:

发表评论